Tuesday, January 12, 2010

First Attempts

I said I would start at the beginning, so that's just what I'm going to do! A friend of mine taught me to knit and at first I was extremely hesitant that I would even like it because I am not crafty or creative whatsoever and I tend to get impatient and mess things like this up (hence why I only sew when absolutely necessary). She taught me to knit and I did a few rows with her and went on my merry way. Then as I was working on my scarf by myself I realized that I screwed something up horribly and my knowledgeable friend was nowhere to be found--leaving me to panic alone. In my desperation, I turned to YouTube, hoping for some comforting how-to videos and boy did I find them! The friendly women on YouTube were there for me day or night to fix my mistakes, teach me all the different methods of casting on and off, to increase and decrease. I was in heaven. I think the easy-to-access (and free, might I add) tutorials fueled my infatuation with knitting and turned me into a crazy monster with birch wood needles (my boyfriend will attest to this). If any of you out there reading this have a yen to knit and just don't know how to get started--YouTube. It's a beautiful thing.

Short story long, a couple weeks later I had already made 2 basic scarves, one for me and one for Christopher. The scarves are identical aside from the color and the simplest of simple. Just plain ol' knit stitch all the way through, but they gave me a lot of good practice. There are plenty of errors in these scarves, but I love them because they're my first attempts! I used Cascade yarn, acrylic (I am ashamed to admit this, but I didn't know any better), and size 8 birch wood needles by Brittany. I got my supplies from Rosie's Yarn Cellar on Locust St. and continue to get most of my yarn and needles from there. They're extremely friendly, helpful, and understanding to those of us with very low budgets.

Here are pics of the scarves. Sorry they're poor quality, but I didn't have my camera with me and had to use my video camera.





So that's all for now. I'm going to get to knitting and then head to Reading Terminal for some veggies to make my mother's stuffed peppers tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment